Can you believe we have reached the one-year anniversary of the entire world shutting down? If someone had told you that you would spend a whole year inside, what would you have said or thought? Whew.
So most of us watched TV, and I did that. But I read a slew of books, too. Here is a list I thought you might be interested in.
- Circe, by Madeline Miller. I held out a long time on this, because I have always been confused by mythology. This ended a lot of the confusion, and I learned a lot. One thing I learned is that if a book has thousands of reviews, you ought to read it.
- An American Marriage, by Tayari Jones. Same as above; what took me so long?
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Again, see above. So many reviews. Such a lovely book.
- I discovered Tana French. Wow. I am now going to read all of her books.
- The Boy in the Field. Margot Livesay is a poet writing mystery novels.
- My Dark Vanessa. Dark. Fascinating.
- Courtney Sullivan. Read all her books.
- In Five Years. Diverting.
- Dear Edward. Absolutely loved this one, and immediately bought it for my daughter.
- All Adults Here. Emma Straub is a gem of an author.
- So is Lily King.
- The Lager Queen of Minnesota. You will learn a lot about beer.
- The Dutch House. I may have recommended this before. Brilliant.
- Girl, Woman, Other. Man Booker Prize winner.
- Summer Water. I just started reading this, but I love it already.
Now that all of us are getting shots, we might stop reading and start partying. I am good for maybe one party…